There is a better future in the pharmacy
The pharmacy of the future is in South Africa
Online consultation hours for doctors should be possible in Germany by around 2020, and the introduction of vending machines is a controversial issue. In South Africa, a country with 20 million chronically ill people and a major shortage of pharmaceutical staff, the digitalization of the healthcare system has already begun: In three densely populated districts of Johannesburg, patients can collect their medicines from 16 vending machines in four shopping centers. Around 15,000 people, around 70 percent of whom are women, have already used this offer since spring 2017.
The digital pharmacies are the result of the collaboration between the German pharmacy vending machine manufacturer MACH4 and Right E-Pharmacy, the commercial arm of the South African NGO Right to Care, with the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) GmbH. The project is supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) as part of the develoPPP.de program.
Registered patients receive their medication at the machines and are advised by a pharmacist via video call on intake and side effects - in the eleven national languages and also on weekends. The dispensing of medication takes around five minutes, compared to waiting times of several hours in public health facilities. The patients are equipped with a chip card that can be used to access the patient and prescription data stored in a cloud.
The pharmacy machines not only improve access to medication and professional advice, but also the chances of correct, regular medication intake: Patients receive an SMS reminding them of their next pick-up appointment. It also reduces the likelihood of contracting other diseases in the overcrowded waiting rooms or of being stigmatized as an HIV patient.
The machines are not yet fully used: two to three times as many patients could still be cared for. That is a good thing, because the use of high-tech pharmacies is increasing every month.
- How do I implement named entity detection
- What languages do the alveolar approximants have
- What is TweetDeck
- What is the difference between nominative and passive?
- Thor's powers come from Mjonir
- How was Jesus' childhood
- Impregnated John Snow Daenerys
- How can Navajo be learned
- How do I use an electric trimmer
- How do I set social media KPIs
- Who locked up Johannes the Taeufer?
- What do his mixed signals mean 1
- What causes a heat rash on the legs
- Which is the most powerful Android smartphone
- Why are peas green
- What was the longest solo space mission
- Manhattan has 21 bridges
- What are some good short anime series
- Can a Lamborghini drive through water?
- Cardboard coffee cups should be banned
- How did Qutbuddin Aibak die
- Are polyphenols in essential oils
- What is the best robotic process software
- What is the deadliest thing on earth 1