When was Magento 1 released?
When does the support period of Magento 1 - FAQ end
After the rumor that Magento 1 could no longer be supported in November 2018, the manufacturer of e-commerce solutions clarified with a recently published FAQ. In our article we present you all the facts about the support term.
Q: What announcement is Magento making regarding the software support policy?
Magento provides clarity about the commitment to software support. These commitments are relevant as they define Magento's approach to providing software support for the Magento software.
There are four areas in our blog post that deserve attention:
- Support of Magento Commerce 1.9 to 1.14 to June 2020
- Software security patches for Magento open source versions 1.5 to 1.9 by June 2020
- End of support for PHP 5.6 and ongoing Magento PHP support
Q: What is the Software Support Commitment for Magento Commerce 1 (aka M1 Enterprise Edition)?
Magento understands that many of the Magento 1 distributors will need additional time to make the transition to newer versions of Magento. To do this, the software support guidelines ensure these customers find the time to upgrade. Especially:
- For Magento Commerce versions 1.13 and 1.14 offers Magento software quality and security support up to June 2020 for merchants whose accounts are still in good shape.
- For Magento Commerce versions 1.9 to 1.12 puts Magento software security patches up June 2020 available to merchants whose accounts are still in good condition. This will ensure that these websites stay safe and compliant.
Illustrated in a table, this means the following:
|Magento Commerce Version (former release date)||Security patches||Quality fixes|
1.13 (October 2013)
|Provided by June 2020||Provided by June 2020|
|1.9 (July 2010)|
1.10 (February 2011)
1.11 (August 2011)
1.12 (April 2012)
|Provided by June 2020||Not provided|
Further details on the support data of the Magento Commerce versions can be found in the Magento legal information.
Q: Does the software support commitment for Magento Commerce 1 apply to my third-party extensions or customizations?
No, Magento software support only applies to Magento Commerce software and not to extensions or adjustments by third parties. All maintenance work on third-party extensions, including security and compliance (PCI, ISO, SOC, etc.), is the express responsibility of the retailer.
Dealers should review any of their enhancements or customizations and check with the appropriate vendor or developer to ensure that their enhancements or customizations are up to date.
Q: With Magento Commerce 1 getting software support through June 2020, why should merchants start planning their upgrade to Magento Commerce 2 now?
While Magento strives to support your success, the time has come to upgrade to Magento Commerce 2. Magento recommends that all Magento Commerce 1 customers contact their Customer Success Managers or development partners such as comwrap to begin their upgrade planning as soon as possible.
Nothing can replace well thought-out and detailed planning. Therefore, you should deal with Magento Commerce 2, as the new version will accelerate your business strategy and achieve growth goals more efficiently. Good planning will result in seamless upgrade projects that meet budget, time-to-market, and most importantly, expectations of providing the right solutions to increase your success. Getting started with this critical business planning right away is a best practice and ensures that you and your development partner are not in a rush that could otherwise have negative consequences for your business.
Another reason to start planning your upgrade early is because of business opportunities. Magento Commerce 2 has the right features to accelerate conversion, growth, and operational efficiency. The longer you delay upgrading to Magento Commerce 2, the more you are potentially missing out on an important opportunity to accelerate the growth of your business.
Last but not least, Magento 2 as a whole is experiencing enormous community and market dynamics, so there is a great opportunity to be part of the wave. There are now more than 2,000 extensions available, new product versions are released quarterly (version 2.3 is in preparation) and over 8,000 new quarterly website launches complement more than 30,000 existing websites.
Q: What happens to merchants who choose to stay with Magento Commerce 1.X after the software support ends?
After June 2020 the Magento Commerce 1.X software will no longer be supported by Magento and websites with an unsupported Magento version will no longer be PCI compliant. Additionally, websites that do not use supported software lack the latest software security features, which puts them at increased risk. For these reasons, and so that merchants can take advantage of the latest commerce features, we recommend that all merchants update to the latest versions of Magento Commerce.
The following points are other important effects on merchants who choose to continue using Magento Commerce 1.X after June 2020:
- Merchants must pay the full Magento software license or renewal fee to continue using the Magento Commerce software, regardless of whether the software is supported or not.
- Merchants will still have access to their Magento Customer Success Manager as long as their accounts are in good condition.
- Technical support provided by Magento is limited to issues related to upgrading to supported versions of Magento Commerce software. Technical support is not provided for unsupported versions of Magento Commerce software.
Q: What happens if delays in upgrading from Magento Commerce 1 to Magento Commerce 2 extend the project completion beyond the end of software support?
A successful upgrade to Magento Commerce 2 requires careful and detailed preparation and development. We recommend that you start your planning as soon as possible. However, it is possible that delays in upgrading will extend the end of the software support appointment for Magento Commerce 1.
When this happens or appears likely, it is important to note the following:
- Merchant websites will never shut down as long as their accounts are in good condition, regardless of whether their software is supported or unsupported. So the Magento Commerce 1 website will continue to operate, but it will no longer be compliant.
- Merchants should not expect the Magento-provided technical support for Magento Commerce 1 to be extended beyond the end of software support, even if they are tasked with upgrading to Magento Commerce 2. However, Magento is aware that every merchant situation is unique. It is therefore important that you contact your Customer Success Manager as soon as a delay is likely to discuss options and solutions to support a successful upgrade.
Q: What are the software maintenance announcements for Magento Open Source 1 (aka M1 Community Edition)?
As part of the commitment for all Magento 1 dealers, Magento will provide software security patches for Magento Open Source versions 1.5 to 1.9 until June 2020 as follows:
|Magento Open Source 1 Version (former release date)||Security patches by Magento||Quality fixes through Magento|
1.5 (February 2011)
|Provided by June 2020||Not provided|
Software security patches are an important part of keeping websites secure and compliant. For detailed information on the open source software maintenance policy, see the legal notice.
Q: Does Magento Open Source 1 security maintenance apply to my third-party extensions or customizations?
No, the Magento security maintenance only applies to Magento open source software and not to Magento Commerce (and customers who have purchased a commercial subscription or license for Magento Commerce) or to extensions and adaptations by third parties. All maintenance work on third-party extensions, including security and compliance (PCI, ISO, SOC, etc.), is your express responsibility.
You should therefore check each of your extensions or adjustments and check with the appropriate provider or developer to ensure that they are up to date.
Q: Will Magento Open Source 1 continue to receive intra-version patches until the end of the security maintenance?
Yes, Magento Open Source 1 will continue to receive security patch releases until June 2020.
Below is the most up-to-date information available on PHP support. We will provide updated information as it becomes available.
Q: How does the PHP 5.6 end-of-life affect Magento 1 merchants?
Due to the end-of-support for PHP 5.6 on December 31, 2018 (see: http://php.net/supported- versions.php), Magento 1 retailers should upgrade to a more recent version of PHP for compliance reasons. PHP 7.2 is the only version currently supported beyond the end of the Magento 1 software support period (June 2020), so Magento plans to release patches for Magento Commerce 1.14.2+ and Open Source 1.9.2+ that will PHP 7.2 will support. The timing of these patches is still TBD, but they will be released before the PHP 5.6 end-of-life date.
Q: Which PHP versions is Magento 2 compatible with?
PHP compatibility differs based on the Magento 2 version:
- Magento 2.1: Magento 2.1 is compatible with PHP 7.0. However, software support for Magento 2.1 (through June 2019) extends beyond PHP 7.0 security support (December 3, 2018). Therefore, Magento plans to release an update for Magento 2.1 to support PHP 7.1, which will be supported until then. This update should be available in August / September.
Due to the technical complexity, there are no plans to release support for PHP 7.2, especially since the end-of-support date for Magento 2.1 will be before the end of the support date for PHP 7.1.
- Magento 2.2:Magento 2.2 is compatible with PHP 7.1. Due to the technical complexity and the end of support date for Magento 2.2 (September 2019) before the end of the support date for PHP 7.1 (December 2019), there are no plans to release support for PHP 7.2.
- Magento 2.3:Once released, Magento 2.3 will be compatible with PHP 7.2.
Q: What exactly should merchants do with a Magento 1 shop now?
In order for you to be able to make a seamless transition from Magento 1 to the new version Magento 2, you need competent advice, the analysis of your current shops and the creation of your individual roadmap. As a long-standing Magento partner with certified specialist teams, we are well prepared for your shop upgrade. In a free 30-minute digital espresso, we offer you a discussion platform to ensure sustainable security and growth for your shop.
- How do you make decisions about professions
- What are some old radio broadcasts
- How much does Power Dialer cost
- Why is gambling so popular
- How much does moderation really cost
- What some great podcasts on world history
- How powerful is the Vatican City
- What is the worst form of tyranny
- How was Jesus' childhood
- How does a Soyuz start aborted
- What is the InboxDollars app
- What are the scientific laws in chemistry
- What if the narcissist is a woman
- How Can I Learn About Internet Marketing?
- Do you promise
- What is a JVM machine program or something
- What is the biggest misunderstanding about poverty
- What does the song The Living Daylights mean
- How are sounds recorded on vinyl
- Can i sell my own water
- What surprises people most about pianists
- What is psychological therapy
- Can Deadpool Die 1
- Do we use more salt than necessary