What is summation in action potential
Synonym: synaptic integration
Under Summation one understands the temporal or spatial calculation of excitatory (EPSP) and inhibitory synaptic potentials (IPSP) on a neuron. If the sum of the EPSPs exceeds a threshold value, an action potential is triggered on the axon hill.
Every nerve cell receives a multitude of signals through adjacent synapses. The stimulus of a single EPSP only leads to a slight local depolarization of the membrane of less than 1 mV. Exciting potentials must arrive via numerous synapses or close behind one another in order to exceed the threshold value for an action potential. The spatial distance to the axon hillock also plays a role here. Inhibiting synapses can greatly reduce these potentials through hyperpolarization and stabilize the resting potential. They usually have a disproportionately stronger effect, as they often lie directly on the soma of the neuron.
2.1 Spatial summation
The potentials created by different synapses add up and spread electrotonically in the cell.
2.2 Temporal summation
Several potentials of a synapse add up over time. EPSPs usually have a duration of 5-20 ms. If a second EPSP arrives during this period, its amplitude is added to the sum of its individual amplitudes.
- ^ Josef Dudel: Neuroscience. Spriner, 2nd edition, pp. 138-140.
- ^ Etherington, Sarah J, Atkinson, Susan E, Stuart, Greg J, and Williams, Stephen R (May 2010) Synaptic Integration. In: eLS. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester. http://www.els.net [doi: 10.1002 / 9780470015902.a0000208.pub2]
- How was this year's NEET PG
- Should Black Widow have her own movie
- How does Facebook advertise itself
- How do I write this C program
- What do you know about Saptarishi Kund
- How do you test for neurological problems
- Bacteria are a paraphyletic group
- How can we connect to the database
- The test takes place before the blood donation
- Do Muslims contribute to American society
- Why is everything I do so meaningless
- What is a healthy cheese substitute
- Where does ketamine come from
- How lightning rods protect houses
- Why is eBay not trustworthy
- Why are people so insecure
- What are the rules for reusing stamps
- Where was Neymar born
- Which comes first thinking or understanding
- What is the science behind telekinesis
- Owned by Getty iStockphoto
- What is the timeline of the bible
- How much is 2e 16
- How do I heal a Reiki master
- How pure is water in a well
- Which is better Kony or PhoneGap
- Are taxis safe in Spain?
- What is your favorite scientific journal
- Is psoriasis really caused by fungi
- What is the difference between files and folders
- What does Elon Musk think of Quora
- 6K video recording is better than 4K
- What makes meringue cakes cry