Dogs need eyebrows
What are the whiskers of dogs used for?
Last update: March 20, 2018
Have you ever wondered why they areWhiskersserve your dog? They have several very interesting features that we are reporting about today. Read on to learn more about it.
The importance of canine whiskers
Often theWhiskerscut off by dogs, which is not dangerous, but does not do the four-legged friend any good. The whiskers are also known as vibrissae and give the animal a “sixth sense”. Without them, the dog will lose certain skills that are very important and useful for him.
The vibrissae are much more firmly anchored in the dog's skin than the rest of the hair. They are also twice as thick and stand out clearly. The whiskers are found not only in the mustache area, but also near the eyes and other areas of the face.
The vibrissae are very important for the dog's ability to perceive, it can use them to explore its environment. Do not forget that the fur nose perceives the world differently than we do.
Another function is very important: dogs do not have eyelashes, but the vibrissae help them to protect their eyes from foreign bodies!
What do dogs use their whiskers for?
We would then like to take a closer look at how whisker hair helps dogs perceive their environment.You can use it to capture information and measure distances.One can compare the vibrissae with the antennae of insects. The four-legged friends can use it to find out a lot about the nature and shape of an object.
When the dog's vibrissae are touched lightly, the animal usually closes the eye on the same half of its face and turns its head to protect itself. Contact with the whiskers has a direct effect on other parts of the dog's body.
Some groomers recommend shortening the whiskers in certain breeds, but this limits the dog's abilities.You should think about your dog's wellbeing before making the decision to cut the whiskers.
By shortening the vibrissae, the dog can become more shy and fearful, and in addition, it often loses self-confidence. It may be moving strangely because it lacks an important way of perceiving it!
Why do the dog's whiskers respond to touch?
Whiskers are not only found on the face.A dog also has special hair with tactile receptors distributed over its entire body. These pick up touches and pass them on to the hair follicles via the receptors.
Since these whiskers are firmly anchored in the skin, the contact creates a stimulus that is transmitted to the body and produces a reflex.
This ability to perceive is also very important in the dark, because it can be used to recognize distances to objects.You have probably already observed that your dog has no problems moving through the house even in the dark.You yourself are not able to take a step without hitting an object.
The dog can see obstacles through the movement of vortices of air that hit the vibrissae. In this way, even blind fur noses can move safely without bumping into objects.
As mentioned at the beginning, whiskers are very important to a dog. It is a kind of early warning system to protect against collisions. At the same time, it protects the eyes from injuries. So there is no need to cut the vibrissae!
- Can I throw salt on my roof
- Bootstrap is only used with HTML
- How do they create artificial intelligence
- What makes someone a good sniper
- Some people are just inferior to others
- Why do Bond films never win an Oscar?
- Can you decipher the word wlo?
- Laptop keyboard price
- How do monobasic and dibasic acids differ?
- How did Nobita meet Doraemon
- The brain releases endorphins during childbirth
- Where can I find vintage turntables
- Is modern society more realistic or romantic
- Where is the best designer in Dubai
- How do I get hired?
- How am I supposed to mourn my cat?
- How do toll roads work in Texas
- Can SpaceX launch the Orion spaceship
- How do I grow up inside
- What is the greatest need of humanity
- What does the NREMT practical test look like
- What is collapsible steering
- How to write Patola in Punjabi
- What is meant by ligand
- What is a clonal disease
- What is India's secret to happiness
- Why do people like ballet
- How do I deal with ungrateful friends
- Progressive rock fans are conservatives
- Is there any political unrest in Pakistan
- Is palletizing a must
- How can you control the desire
- Crowdfunding benefits the communities
- Why should Mozart's death be suspect?