Is Kotlin language similar to Java
Kotlin vs. Java - what is suitable for what?
Key facts at a glance
- Kotlin saves on lines of code, but not on legibility.
- Thanks to Kotlin, getters and setters are moved to the compiler.
- NullPointerExceptions are also almost eliminated.
- The compiled Kotlin code is highly compatible.
What exactly is Kotlin?
Compatibility with Java
A big advantage is that the codecompatible with Java is. As an example: A code that is created with Kotlin can be addressed from Java classes. Can the other way aroundJava classes alsoin Kotlin be used. Many existing Java projects can gradually be rewritten in Kotlin without any loss. In this way, you can supplement existing projects with a currently secure code without having to change the rest.
Kotlin offers the same performance with less code
Another advantage of Kotlin is thatAvoided a lot of boilerplate code becomes. Often it is part of good programming style, but it bloats the code unnecessarily. With Kotlin, simple tasks that require almost 100 lines of code in Java can be reduced to less than ten percent. Neither readability nor functionality is impaired. Although this is an extreme example, the Java code can usually be avoidedCut 20 to 30 percent.
💡 Good to know: Less code means fewer and fewer possible bugs,less bug fixing and complete projects faster. This not only saves nerves, but also time and money.
NullException checking is no longer necessary
To avoid program crashes, Java must first accessevery variable be checked whether the valuezero amounts. It looks like this:
These calculation steps can theoretically be avoided. In Kotlin it is possible to report directly whether an attributenullableis. When adefault value is set, this check is omitted:
Of course, a zero value can also be allowed, the corresponding test then looks like this:
If a zero value should now appear, is the result of the variablelength also the valuezero. This can be avoided with the Elvis operator and the assignment of a standard value:
Then no longer has tozero checked and the code becomes shorter. This function is similar to that of Optionalin Java, but gives the possibility to abbreviate as follows:
Support for programming Kotlin
In many cases, Kotlin overtakes Java as the standard programming language for Android. thats whyKotlininto the development platformAndroid Studio integratedso you can build and test apps right there.
Since version 5, the Spring framework supports Kotlin without additional plugins. In addition, support for Kotlin is already available in the IntelliJ (Community and Enterprise) and Eclipse development platforms. So Java and Kotlin can be easily connected to each other.
Use as a native programming language is being used more and more
Kotlin is not only at home with Android programming. The tool is now also available as a native programming languageavailable for some widely used systems. Kotlin / Native can currently be used on these operating systems:
- iOS (arm32, arm64, simulator x86_64)
- MacOS (x86_64)
- Android (arm32, arm64)
- Windows (mingw x86_64, x86)
- Linux (x86_64, arm32, MIPS, MIPS little endian, Raspberry Pi)
- WebAssembly (wasm32)
In which cases is Java better suited than Kotlin?
Despite the good support and push from Google, there are still cases whereJava as a programming language does a better job. We have put together the advantages of Java in this overview.
Is Kotlin really the better Java?
Considering all the facts, that could be assumed. Java has long been the top dog when it comes to apps.Java programs run on all platformsthat have a runtime environment. This fact made Java what it is today - one of the most popular programming languages. However, it is also a fact that Java often looks confusing because of its many lines of code in smaller apps and is therefore avoided by many programmers.
The recurring security problems are also slowly causing a decline. SelfOracle recommends meanwhile theUninstalling Javawhen it is not absolutely necessary. Hearing something like this in-house can put off potential programmers. Kotlin will therefore sooner or later replace Java, at least for smaller projects. For larger projects, however, Java is still the better choice.
More articles on the topic:
End of article
- How do I solve this particular problem
- What are some underrated universities in London
- Are walnuts good for the skin
- What is a payment dispute
- How can I practice data structures in a targeted manner
- Which database system does Facebook use
- How thin can we cut silicon wafers
- What does seppuku mean in Japanese
- How do people earn money with eBIZ
- Are there liberals in China
- How much does Ducati Streefighter V4
- Why are policemen allowed to swing firearms
- Can copper and a magnet ever touch?
- What are some career management activities
- How Much Can Top Weightlifters Bench Press
- Can we use noni juice
- How hot airports are
- Why is Ireland not a kingdom
- Satire Is David Icke actually a satirist
- What is a commuter school
- What do you mean by vector direction
- What are biomolecular condensates
- Why does Modafinil feel like meth?
- How pickpockets steal so sneakily
- What are some bikes under 3 lakhs
- Why is HPCL and not ONGC
- What is the hardest coding language
- How earthworms dig through dirt
- How can I overcome cancer
- Why is Luxembourg so pro-EU
- How do you get interpersonal skills training
- What is colocation
- What are a whippet's sleeping habits
- What is a good e-bike motor kit