What about India surprised you
Coronavirus mutation: Indian variant is spreading rapidly
"At the moment, it must be assumed that this variant is making a significant contribution to the infection process and the catastrophe it triggered in India," said Professor Dr. Joachim Schultze, coordinator of the German Covid-19OMICS Initiative, opposite the Science Media Center Germany. The SARS-CoV-2 variant B.1.617 was first discovered in India in the state of Maharashtra, where it spread widely. B.1.617 has now been detected in 40 countries around the world. “A further global expansion must be assumed,” said Schultze.
B.1.617 is not just a variant, there are three subgroups. One of them, B.1.671.2, is spreading noticeably quickly, currently also in Great Britain, for example. With the observed increase, B.1.617 could already be the dominant variant in late May or early June in London, said the epidemiologist Dr. Deepti Gurdasaniim from Queen Mary University in London across from The Guardian newspaper.
Schultze said of the situation in Germany: "In the past three weeks there has been a sharp increase that appears as steep as in the United Kingdom." At 2 percent, the proportion of B.1.617 in this country is already higher than that of the South African and Brazilian Variants. So far, however, little is known about the properties of the Indian variant.
Professor Dr. Richard Neher from the University of Basel said that the current figures give reason to closely monitor what is happening and to make attempts to contain the infections. "However, the data is not as reliable at the moment as it was for B.1.1.7 at the end of December and beginning of January." He would not be surprised if it turns out in the end that this variant is not as worrying as that some feared at the moment. The World Health Organization recently upgraded B.1.617 to a worrying variant.
You can read more about the different coronavirus variants here.
You might also be interested in
- What are the national symbols of Fiji
- Which is the best SEO software suite
- What are examples of air accidents
- What is the use of Telerik controls
- Which religions are most anti-gay?
- Who invented the playing cards?
- Which brands does Markerly work with
- What's Jain Ramayana?
- How many feverish convulsions are normal
- Who is Kylie Jenner's father
- What happened to Court TV
- Are introverts an easier target for flirtation
- What's your favorite item from Gary Vaynerchuk
- What are wheel spacers
- Who were the marathas
- Which is the best library in pune
- Why does the critical Windows7 update break VBA
- What is the purpose of the dramatic irony
- What do you mean by cloakroom courtesy
- Will move movers guns
- Could a creature live in space
- Are the Taliban still controlling Afghanistan?
- How do maps show colonization?
- How is the concentration of electromagnetic waves measured