What do Americans think of Sarah Palin?
A world power undermines itself : The USA is on the way to a "failed state"
The American magazine "The Atlantic" has already put an article by the publicist George Packer planned for its June issue online. It's about the USA in the times of Corona - under the title "We Are Living in a Failed State".
A German translation of the text prints the latest “Zeit”, but without the provocative original title and the addition: “The coronavirus did not destroy America. It reveals what was already destroyed. "
[All current developments as a result of the coronavirus pandemic can be found here in our news blog. At this point we will keep you up to date on developments in Berlin in particular]
George Packer, formerly a Fellow of the American Academy in Berlin and author of an award-winning “Inner History of the New America”, says that the Trump administration has acted at the level of states like Pakistan and Belarus since the beginning of the pandemic.
Packer speaks of a “corrupt political class, a sclerotic bureaucracy, a heartless economy” and a “divided, disrupted public”. At the latest after the first two world crises of the 21st century, September 11, 2001 and the financial crisis in 2008, populism won in the USA.
Sarah Palin was the harbinger of Donald Trump
It was not Barack Obama who was the herald of a new era, but the “absurd” Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin. As a harbinger of Donald Trump.
Is the United States really a "failed state"? So far, this attribution has only been valid for ruinous state structures such as Afghanistan or Somalia.
Despite China's rise, the USA is still the leading world power - but leading where? When Trump surprisingly won the presidency, the hope was that the egomaniacal amateur could possibly mature into political office, and that there was still a “balance of power” through the institutions. But even this balance has now been disturbed, which is why a man with often mistaken ideas (“injecting disinfectant”) continues to hold onto power.
[With the “Twenty / Twenty” newsletter, our US experts accompany you every Thursday on your way to the presidential election. You can register for free here: tagesspiegel.de/twentytwenty.]
Anyone who expected Trump's ineptitude and cynicism would politically make him a Corona victim himself is disappointed. The Democratic candidate Joe Biden is by no means the clear favorite against Trump in the presidential elections. And Biden embodies the next disappointment. The ex-Vice President of the Obama administration would be the infinitely lesser evil compared to four more years of Trump. So whatever you say about him would be a win.
A politician with the charisma of Michelle Obama is not in sight
But why Joe Biden at all? The Democrats and beyond their party lines all thoughtful, compassionate Americans had almost four years to reflect after the Trump shock.
[If you want to have all the latest developments on the coronavirus crisis live on your mobile phone, we recommend our completely redesigned app, which you can download here for Apple devices and here for Android devices.]
In terms of its size and possibilities, the USA is (still) blessed with talents, a pioneering spirit and ideas like no other country; But they also seem cursed as a former model of freedom and democracy: nonsensical electoral laws, a system that has never been reformed, which brings candidates up almost exclusively on the basis of big money, and an unfortunate mixture of irrational populism and the harshest commerce undermine world power from within.
And as an alternative to a soon-to-be 74-year-old disaster president, they only produce a man who is almost 78 years old on election day in November, in the twilight of his political life. These are actually the signs of a failed state.
It is possible that a more charismatic woman as Biden's runner-up candidate will soon appear like a light at the end of the tunnel. Just who will it be?
A politician with the charisma and intelligence of Michelle Obama, who is not up for election herself, is not yet in sight.
- Dogs need eyebrows
- When did Lord Mountbatten finally leave India?
- What are some things communism got right
- What is a battlestation computer
- Indian men like career-oriented girls
- Morgellons disease is caused by chemtrails
- We should pay attention to our intuition
- Miss Amy Winehouse
- How would you rate this SAT essay
- Alcohol is terrible for your body
- Are the Smiths overrated
- What is a cell transition
- What do you like to play the most?
- Why was Ace Combat Infinity closed
- Why doesn't Walmart use paper bags
- Can we perceive something without a sensation
- How do I start the project development
- How did you develop your charisma
- Have there ever been identical triplets
- Are introverts an easier target for flirtation
- How do I feel socially safe
- Fastest alternative to the local file share server
- Appreciate sarcasm
- Where can I read manga in Chinese
- What is Udta Punjab about
- Why are hips important to women
- Canada prepaid international SIM card
- Is FanDuel too good to be true
- How do the Laotians see the Hmong
- What are mutagens
- Is Surveymonkey Com Safe To Use
- Who is a good woman
- Which Brexit agreements would the UK unite?
- What would happen if India attacks Russia?