What do food engineers do
Preserving food: what processes are there? Tips and recipes to copy!
In late summer and autumn most of the gardens and trees are richly hung with fruit and vegetables. Certainly with you too! Often times you can harvest more than you can immediately use. This is not a modern problem! This is why mankind has always resorted to different methods to increase the shelf life of food. Because with the right preservation, you can enjoy food for a long time. Fruit, vegetables, herbs and even meat can be preserved over the long term using different methods.
Of course, no food can be preserved forever, but you can spoil it Methods such as vacuum sealing, soaking, drying or salting delay. With the following tips you will be able to preserve your food supply for as long as possible.
10 methods of conservation
Preserving food removes causes of possible internal and external spoilage. The oldest processes are salting, smoking, drying and souring. With industrialization, the methods of boiling down and freezing were added. Nowadays, the preservation of food is mainly taken over by the food industry. In the following, we will introduce you to 10 methods of how you can preserve food at home.
The lifespan of grains, herbs, legumes and fruits can be extended by drying. In this process the water is removed from the food, whereby microorganisms are deprived of their livelihood.
Due to the dehydration in the smokehouse, trout and ham, among other things, spoil less quickly and also acquire a tasty aroma.
Meat and fish are often salted in order to remove the water from the food and thus to make it last longer.
With the addition of vinegar, you can preserve pumpkin, beans or other vegetables. Due to the low pH value, microorganisms can no longer multiply or can only multiply to a very limited extent, which delays the spoilage.
Candied fruits, jellies or syrups - sugar is the sweetest way of preserving. In this way, fruits can be preserved for up to a year.
You can of course store butter, vegetables, sausage and meat in the fridge at home. Due to the low temperatures between +2 to +10 ° C, the goods stay fresh longer because the growth of microorganisms is slowed down.
The process works like cooling in the refrigerator; the even lower temperatures (down to -17 ° C) mean that food can be kept for up to a year.
You can preserve food for a year or more by boiling it down. Compotes or chutneys are delicious results of this method. With temperatures of 75 to 100 ° C you kill the microorganisms of fruit and vegetables, which delays the spoilage of the food.
Fruits in alcohol, antipasti in oil or even feta in brine are possible results when you add food. This deprives the microorganisms of oxygen and the food is preserved for several weeks.
You can use this method to make food last longer. The vacuum deprives bacteria and microorganisms of their oxygen and thus their livelihood. You can use it to preserve food for several days to weeks.
Recipes for preserving food
You can preserve fruits by boiling them down to make delicious jam or compote. Therefore, we have put together two recipes for you, suitable for the time of year:
- 1 kg of sour cherries
- 500 g preserving sugar 2: 1
- 5 tbsp lemon juice; Alternatively: 1 packet of citric acid (5g)
How to do it:
- Clean, core and chop the cherries.
- Put the preserving sugar, lemon juice / acid and cherries in a saucepan and cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Bring the mixture to the boil while stirring. Let it simmer over a high heat for about 4 minutes and keep stirring.
- Pour the hot mixture into sterilized, hot-rinsed jars, close immediately and place the jars on the lid for 5 minutes.
- Turn the glasses over and let them cool.
- Enjoy jam.
- 800 g apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 250 ml of water
- 2 tbsp sugar
How to do it:
- Put lemon juice and water in a bowl.
- Wash, core, quarter and slice apples. Then add to the lemon water.
- Add sugar and simmer over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Enjoy the compote straight away or fill it into sterilized and hot-rinsed glasses. The apple compote can be kept for several months.
Boil glasses properly
Before you transfer the freshly prepared delicacies into jars, you must absolutely sterilize them! So that germs and bacteria don't stand a chance, we recommend boiling the glasses in a water bath for five minutes. Alternatively, you can also carry out the sterilization in the oven: Simply place the jars in the preheated electrical device for approx. 10 minutes at 140 ° C. You can remove germs from the lid and rubber rings in a water bath with a dash of vinegar. Rinse with cold water before use and wipe dry with a clean cloth. An alternative is the microwave.
- Fill glasses with a little water.
- Place in the appliance at 600 watts until it boils.
- Let cook for another 60 seconds.
- Let the glasses cool down and take them out.
So that you can enjoy the cooked fruit for a long time, you should store the filled jars tightly closed in a dark and dry place.
- Jackie Chan is a Hollywood actor
- Which is better Minoxidil Gel or Spray
- Where can a person buy a dolphin
- What is unique about the kharai camel
- Is neet brands important for bhms
- What is the most unsinkable ship
- The Americans get along with the Japanese
- What is the full form of OTP
- How fast can Ronaldo run
- Are the medical costs high in China?
- Could Golem be as profitable as Ethereum
- Can two ENTPs get along?
- Why was my Snapchat user account deleted?
- What is IIoT in Ignition SCADA
- What are the different currencies of India
- Why do DJs think they are musicians?
- Do doctors believe in a paranormal phenomenon
- Bootstrap is only used with HTML
- What is the name of my Android operating system
- How do I find a forklift mechanic
- Jeffrey Dahmer was a neurotype
- Why are car dealerships so seedy
- What are the challenges of rural local government
- Why doesn't meditation help me find answers?