Do you enjoy living in Maine?
Life with the beautiful Maine Coon cat
Maine Coon cats can be admired at many exhibitions and, as "simple pets", are among the most popular cat breeds in the world. It comes from the United States, more precisely from the state of Maine, as the name suggests. In this state she is, so to speak, the national animal. Another name for the breed is American forest cat.
My kitten: Buy Maine Coon puppies
Many people still buy a pet without really thinking about how life will change as a result of this responsibility. Animals are still given away, which everyone finds cute and cute at the moment, but then quickly finds out that a cat also does work and costs money. The following topics should be reconsidered:
- Do I have enough time for a pet?
- Can I even afford the animal, its equipment and its upkeep (do not forget the veterinary costs for regular vaccinations, wormer cures, castration and possible diseases!)?
- Is my apartment / house suitable for a cat?
- Can my neighborhood (busy streets, etc.) allow me to live as an outdoor cat?
- Could my living conditions change so that the cat is suddenly no longer wanted? (for example new life partner with cat allergy ...)
- How long would the animal be alone every day because I work and have many other obligations? A second cat may be a solution - it doesn't HAVE to be a Maine Coon that is bought for company.
Sometimes you get lucky and find a Maine Coon at the shelter. Purebred kittens are less likely to end up in animal welfare. Even if you do a good work here and give a rejected or undesired animal a new home, you have to pay a nominal fee, which is used not least for the maintenance of the facilities and prevents living beings from being viewed as free goods without value. Every interested party must also put up with the fact that questions are asked about their living conditions and that an on-site inspection takes place so that the animals really get into a good home.
If you want to buy a purebred Maine Coon from a breeder, you have to consider several points. You can certainly find the serious cat breeders with their advertisements on the Internet - but when you contact us, the wheat is quickly separated from the chaff. The cheaper a pedigree cat, such as the Maine Coon, is offered, the more suspicious a supplier makes himself of not being a breeder, but rather a breeder. So you shouldn't look forward to supposed dumping prices, but should refrain from such cheap offers as quickly as possible. A young Maine Coon costs from 700 euros upwards, depending on the region and family tree. Everything below smells of greed for profit, which at least means being particularly vigilant in answering the following questions with a clear conscience:
- Can I visit the puppies before the actual collection date and get to know them personally?
- Will you show me the mother or the parent animals without further ado and will you let me into the house?
- Do parents and kittens live in a clean household with a human connection, toys, scratching post and a decent litter box? Or in a cage outdoors, alone and without human attention?
- Does the breeder want to meet at a rest stop or other place according to the motto goods for money? Perhaps with the excuse to save the prospective buyer travel expenses?
- Does the breeder willingly provide information about hereditary diseases, the occurrence of inbreeding, feed and other peculiarities that interested parties would like to inquire about?
- Are the papers complete? (Inquire on the Internet beforehand when buying your first cat) Have all the vaccinations been carried out according to the age, have the animals been dewormed? Are the kittens already chipped and do they have a pet ID?
- Does the breeder willingly agree to be available for questions after the purchase, for example by phone or email?
If breeders react evasively or even surly to such requests from a prospective buyer, one should not buy an animal from him. As long as the “shop is buzzing”, unscrupulous multipliers don't care about the welfare of the animals, at whose expense they earn their money with the least amount of effort.
What do Maine Coon cats look like?
With the Maine Coon one speaks of so-called semi-long-haired cats. They belong to the medium-sized to large cat breeds - no wonder, as adult tomcats tend to grow up to a meter (or even more) long, not including the voluminous hairy tail. The weight of the male is then around 6 to over 8 kilograms, the female between around 4 and 5.5 kilograms. The coat is suitable for all weather conditions thanks to its undercoat and top coat. The brushes on the ears, the large oval eyes and the heart-shaped head are typical of the breed. The physique is muscular, but still graceful. There is no definition of certain colors in the Maine Coon breed standard - they are available in all colors. Another “trademark” of the breed are its large paws, which also earned it the name snowshoe cat.
The attitude of an American forest cat
Maine Coons are not particularly sensitive and are ideally suited for a life as outdoor animals. After all, in the USA they are still kept as "farm animals" that are supposed to fight vermin. If the animals are kept outdoors, there are no special requirements for the apartment, except for what all cats like to have. A cozy place, a scratching post for activities in bad weather and, of course, clean surroundings around the feeding place and litter box. If the animals are kept in the apartment without giving them access to exercise, there must of course be enough space. In this case, the size of the scratching post, the selection of toys and of course the time of human attention or of a playmate are more important.
Outdoor hikers like to hide parasites in their fur when they return home from a trip - and dirt also sticks to the hair and paws. In addition to food and employment, regular vaccinations and worming are required - and regular check-ups for the early detection of possible diseases. Maine Coons are not demanding when it comes to their diet. However, you should feed them with species-appropriate feed and make sure that they do not become overweight. When combing and brushing you should watch out for tangles - if they get too bad, you have to shear.
The friendly nature of the Main Coon
The American Forest Cats like to bond with their humans, especially when kept alone. They enjoy cuddling time and play and if they get used to it, they can also enjoy the ritual of (at least!) Weekly grooming.
In general, the Maine Coon are described as gentle and restrained velvet paws, but who also value independence. The animals are only fully grown at around 3 to 4 years of age, then they have reached their final size. If children living in the household respect animals, Maine Coons are family-friendly pets with a cuddle and fun factor.
The problem of the Maine Coon
In any case, the buyer has to check the family tree of the boys offered to see whether an ancestor appears there more than once. The cat breed struggles very much with the problem of inbreeding, since all pure-bred animals go back to the 5 "ancestors" of the Maine Coon, the so-called "Foundation animals", which were once selected from an external point of view. As a result, hereditary diseases such as polydactyly (excess toes on the paws) persist - in addition, inbreeding shortens the life expectancy of cats. Other health concerns that may arise could include heart disease, kidney and nervous diseases and joint problems. The less stressed the ancestors are, the healthier the young are. Serious breeders do not mate close relatives or hereditary animals. The breeding of animals with deformities, such as polydactyly, is prohibited in Germany due to the Animal Welfare Act. The average life expectancy of the Maine Coon is around 12 years.
Image by Lenka Novotná from Pixabay
- What is blockchain in advertising
- What is Onyomi and Kunyomi
- What was your worst purchase ever?
- Does communism need a capital letter?
- What's next in HR Tech
- Altruism is essential to enlightenment
- How did old societies hold boundaries
- Some thyroid drugs contain radioactive iodine
- Is Dutch a useful language
- What is the name of the ointment
- How is life after Amity University
- How do I plan a solo trip
- Is it time to buy Etherum?
- How does Duenger burn grass
- How do CEOs sleep
- How do I heal weaknesses
- What does bass mean
- Why is there no diamond sword there?
- Is Pakistani food different from Chinese food
- Why is my charger no longer working
- Are you a redneck
- What is the dimension of angular velocity
- What is 158 9 million million million
- Is coaching required for the IIT JEE
- What is the process of hazard analysis
- Who sings the song Thank You Jesus
- What is man's best friend
- Who will BTS work with in 2010?
- HFI certification helps product managers
- What are wheel spacers
- How can I do witchcraft without herbs
- All Indians are Hindus
- Why should you behave well
- Let's do enough for Puerto Rico