Is MBBS better or not

Leave the archive and display this page in the standard design: Working as a foreign doctor in Germany?


My friend currently lives and works in India as a specialist in intensive care medicine and has also completed his studies there (MBBS). We would of course like to live not so far apart. He could go to England to work there without any problems, but what about Germany? Does anyone here know better about the conditions? What is it recognized? Its probably not an FA, is it?



To be able to work as a "non-European" doctor here in Germany is difficult. The prerequisite for this is a German license to practice medicine or a so-called professional permit (usually limited in time and tailored to a specific position). Only German citizens get the license to practice medicine if they have completed their studies in the EU. The work permit can also be obtained by non-German citizens, but this is also difficult. For this purpose, the course must be recognized as equivalent and an equivalency test must be passed. Before taking the equivalency test, an "internship" (often referred to as a "visiting doctor" and not paid or only compensated with starvation wages) is often required, which often lasts at least 1 year. The equivalency test itself is practically another small state examination. When you finally have the work permit, it is often limited to a specific position. As a rule, you are not allowed to settle down, for example. All this applies regardless of whether a specialist training has already taken place, only as a basic requirement to be able to work as a doctor at all. Whether the specialist is then recognized as the next step depends in turn on the responsible state medical associations. However, these formalities are only the formalities to be recognized as a doctor at all! Basically, as a non-EU citizen, it is difficult to get a right of residence or a work permit at all (marriage would be the easiest way here!). I heard all these things through a colleague for whom I argued with the employment office, the immigration office and the licensing authority. The German bureaucracy is simply horror! If you want to know exactly and in a qualified manner, then the best thing to do is to ask the authority responsible for approvals (don't ask me which one it is, because it (of course!) Differs from state to state!) And the responsible immigration authority. It's probably easier if you move to England (sorry, maybe I'm too pessimistic)!
Love from,

"Only German citizens get the license to practice medicine if they have completed their studies in the EU."

Only marginally, but that's not true. The above only applies if the license to practice medicine is also awarded after the end of the course in the country in which the course was completed. The best example: Austria. There you get the Appro only after the cycle, if you go to Germany beforehand, you also have to go through the work permit (which is not a problem as an EU citizen).

hmmm ... doesn't sound that great. I wouldn't have imagined it to be that bad. It's just that I can't go to England that easily, I still have a few years ahead of me ...
How can it be nice that a doctor who has done his FA again in England is then not allowed to work in D? I just can't understand
Is it the same in all of Europe, or is it just the Germans that are so strange again?

Dear Dr. Psych!
That's right, but I think it's only confusing for the questioner, since Austria is a very special case! Let's summarize: This is true for all EU countries except Austria, since there the license to practice medicine is only awarded after the regular doctor. Otherwise the Approb. awarded after graduation (yes, we can still split hairs, there are of course countless conceivable exceptions, which is why no license is awarded after graduation (e.g. in the event of illness, criminal proceedings, etc.)). Regarding really competent information, I would not rely on any statements in the forum anyway, but urgently advise you to ask the responsible authorities.
Greetings, Peter

Dear Poro,

If your friend is an "EU citizen", or can, for example, acquire a residence permit through marriage, then a considerable difficulty has been eliminated. That would have to be clarified first (the contact for advice would be the immigration office). Once this has been obtained, the next step is a work permit (the immigration authority is also responsible). Then it comes to the professional permit or the license to practice medicine (the competent authority varies from state to state), I have already described the requirements (by the way, my status is from 2003, maybe something has changed). Since the Indian course is almost (or even the same) structured as the British course and your friend has already worked in England, there may not be as many problems with the work permit, but as I said, it is best to inquire directly with the authorities.
The requirements for specialist certification (unfortunately has nothing to do with the professional license or the license to practice medicine) must be met if your friend has acquired the specialist doctor in England.
The British are not as stressful as people with language skills and "British education" from former colonial territories are welcome (at least years ago, as it looks now, no idea) with the prevailing shortage of skilled workers in the British healthcare system.

Powered by vBulletin ™ Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2021 Adduco Digital e.K. and vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.