What are the cost of electricity in Ireland
Germans pay the highest electricity price in the world
German consumers pay higher electricity prices than in other countries around the world. According to an analysis, electricity in Germany is more expensive than in 135 countries examined. Responsible for this are taxes and the EEG surcharge. But renewable energies could have saved consumers a lot of money in recent years.
- Where electricity is most expensive in the world
- Where electricity is cheapest in the world
- Electricity prices could be even more expensive without renewable energies
Electricity in Germany is expensive. In an international comparison, German consumers pay the highest electricity prices. This is the result of an analysis of the electricity prices in 135 countries, which the comparison portal Verivox carried out with data from the energy service Global Petrol Prices. On average, electricity in Germany is 163 percent more expensive than in the rest of the world. The price in Germany is currently around 32.10 cents per kilowatt hour. On an international average, a kilowatt hour costs 12.22 cents.
How much is my property worth?
In just 5 minutes, we will reveal the market price and other valuable information about your chosen property.Rate property now
Where electricity is most expensive in the world
- 1st place: Germany (32.10 cents per kilowatt hour
- 2nd place: Denmark (27.81 cents per kilowatt hour)
- 3rd place: Bahamas (27.73 cents)
- 4th place: Belgium (26.60 cents)
- 5th place: Portugal (26.40 cents)
- 6th place: Cape Verde (24.94 cents)
- 7th place: Japan (24.64 cents)
- 8th place: Barbados (24.48 cents)
- 9th place: Rwanda (23.86 cents)
- 10th place: Ireland (23.70 cents)
Where electricity is cheapest in the world
According to Verivox, the electricity prices are cheapest in the following countries:
- 1st place: Sudan (0.24 cents per kilowatt hour)
- 2nd place: Ethiopia (0.90 cents)
- 3rd place: Kyrgyzstan (1.03 cents)
- 4th place: Zimbabwe (1.22 cents)
- 5th place: Libya (1.24 cents)
- 6th place: Angola (1.77 cents)
- 7th place: Oman (2.30 cents)
- 8th and 9th place: Iraq and Kuwait (2.59 cents each)
- 10th place: Uzbekistan (2.66 cents)
Although these countries are difficult to compare with the industrialized nation of Germany, consumers in other large industrialized nations also pay much less for their electricity. In the USA the price is around 13.03 cents, in Canada, South Korea, Russia and China the kilowatt hour costs less than ten cents. Even taking into account the different price levels in the electricity price comparison adjusted for purchasing power, Germany is the most expensive G-20 country.
Advertisement: Solar system for 0 € acquisition costs - is your house an option? *
Electricity prices could be even more expensive without renewable energies
In Germany, electricity prices have more than doubled since the turn of the millennium, according to Verivox. "This is mainly due to the high proportion of taxes, levies and charges, which now make up more than 50 percent of the electricity price," says Verivox energy expert Thorsten Storck. For example, the EEG surcharge, which is supposed to finance the expansion of renewable energies, has increased tenfold since 2004.
Starting next year, however, the EEG surcharge should decrease to compensate for the rising CO2 prices. This could mean that electricity prices in Germany could drop somewhat in 2021.
Even if the expansion of renewable energies is often seen as a price driver for electricity, a study comes to a different conclusion. According to the study by Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg from October last year, renewable energies saved Germans 40 billion euros from 2015 to 2019. Because the demand for electricity is increasing continuously, but the supply is falling due to the decline in conventional energies from coal and nuclear power. The electricity generated by renewable sources was able to compensate for this gap.
*So-called affiliate links have been added to this post. This means that we receive a small portion of the commission when the purchase is made. This does not increase the purchase price.
- Sample presentation for an interview
- What is UberPOP
- How can one describe laziness biologically?
- Is Gainesville Florida dangerous
- What are the homonyms of tied
- Who is this Greek philosopher
- What is data integration
- Can lighten potato acne scars
- What are the segmentation errors in C ++
- What is overload in JS
- Can a bone marrow transplant cure blood cancer
- What are some good scifi songs
- How can I avoid an illogical argument
- Will political terrorism cause World War III
- What are the main golf championships
- Why is football more popular than hockey?
- What is the opposite of Brahman
- How often do companies buy ink
- What is the identity principle
- How are Cancun and Cozumel
- How did you buy happiness with money
- Can you legally host restaurant workers
- Who won the Ukrainian presidential elections
- What is the language of Utter Pradesh