Why my dogs' paws are cold
Paws and feet in winter - this is how you support your dog!
The thermometer has been dropping below zero for a few days. What makes the husky revive makes other dogs reluctant. We'll give you tips on how to protect your darling's paws from the cold, split and road salt in winter.
Cold and snow
Usually dogs get along well with the freezing temperatures and snow-covered walks. It only becomes problematic when the temperatures are really icy: some dogs then freeze on their paws and they feel uncomfortable going for a walk. Watch your dog:
- Does he show reluctance when you call out for a walk?
- Does he just sneak after you when you go for a walk?
- Does he take turns lifting his paws and then only walking on three legs?
If any of these apply, your dog's paws may be too cold. In this case, we recommend well-fitting paw shoes, because they not only protect against the cold, but also against grit and road salt.
Not every dog loves the cold and the snow.
What makes a good dog shoe?
Especially when you go on longer tours, it is important that the paw shoes fit well and do not chafe anywhere. Good shoes also protect against the wet and cold, so they are insulated. The tread of the shoes is particularly important: it should be made of a non-slip material, otherwise your dog cannot run or, in the worst case, even injure itself if its paws slip away.
Good paw shoes do not protect against cold and wet, but must also not chafe under any circumstances.
Milking fat and co as care?
Again and again you read in various dog forums that milking fat is supposed to protect the paws. We strongly advise against using commercial milking grease. It consists largely of so-called Refined oil is a waste product from industry. Although they lubricate well, they have no caring properties.
If your dog licks the milk fat off its paws, harmful ingredients can even build up in its adipose tissue, liver and kidney and cause inflammation there. Instead, we recommend pure natural products such as deer tallow or milking fat made from pure vegetable fats. You can rub this generously on your paws before going for a walk, where the layer of fat protects the pads from the cold and the road salt.
Deer tallow or purely vegetable milking fat protects the paws from road salt and the cold.
Water and scissors
We all have the two simplest remedies for winter frustration on our paws at home: After a walk, simply wash your dog's paws with lukewarm water. This removes the road salt and the split and also brings some moisture to the paws. Long-haired dogs will also make walks in the snow much easier if you cut their hair between the balls of their feet. This way, no more clumps of snow can form, which hinder your dog when walking.
With long-haired dogs, small sheaballs often form in the area between the toes, which disturb the dog when walking. To avoid this, simply remove long hair from between your paws.
Older or sick dogs in particular can be helped over the cold season with certain feed additives: Biotin tablets or yeast support healthy claw growth and have a positive effect on the skin and coat. However, a healthy dog usually does not need these additives. However, if the balls appear cracked or the claws “fray”, add a small amount of biotin or brewer's yeast to the feed every day.
Old or sick dogs can benefit from food additives in winter.
Photos: 1: © Pinosub / istock.com; 2: © Okssi68 / istock.com; 3: © MSHaughwout / Istock.com; 4: © PhilipCharles / istock.com; 5: © AVAVA / istock.com;
- How is the price determined under monopoly
- When do you sleep in India
- Where does the sauce come from
- What is the demarcation of effective advertising
- What were the reparations for slavery?
- How would you trust the spells of clairvoyants
- Why is our current society very selfiesh
- Is the empty set an atomic number
- How is Portugal seen across Europe
- How does geography affect the military defense of Russia?
- Android APK runs on Fuchsia OS
- Penicillin is considered bacteriostatic
- How can I compare different trade agreements
- What is a central power plant
- What is AT T 5G
- What is mental power
- Xbox Kinect will ignore the family dog
- Is there a successor to Baghdadis
- What is long-term evolution
- Are animals capable of self-observation
- Can I use Shutterstock images for advertising?
- What would happen if Iran invaded America?
- How do I start Monero XMR mining
- How to calculate the outside diameter