Dear is a proper name
Helmut and his love (s) in the genitive
I have a different opinion with a friend about the correct use of "his" and "his" in the following sentence, which I built into a poem:
Mr. Miller is then written down
For the good of Helmut and his loved ones
H. disagreed and stood up for "his" loved ones.
Dear Mr. M.,
Your friend is right. Correct is:
for the good of Helmuts and his loved ones
The genitive is called for here:
for whose good?
for the good of Helmuts and
for the good of his loved ones
In the genitive case, without a sentence context, it is not clear whether it is a single female person (his love) or several people(his loved ones) acts, so whether his dear wife or girlfriend resp. his loved ones are meant. But one cannot clarify this obscurity by his instead of his used. Most of the time, the context determines what is meant, and otherwise it has to be rephrased. In this case, I would not find the “obscurity” so indistinct, even if the (further) context does not allow precise conclusions. If Helmut has a special love, it is also one of his loved ones, who certainly like to feel that they are meant a little. And if he doesn't have any, he means the plural anyway. Mathematical precision is seldom required in language.
With best regards
- How many people in India are poor
- What is the chemical symbol of bromine
- Are there Nephilim among us
- What is the definition of brain plasticity
- Pat Robertson has dementia
- Amravati is a graphic city
- Yellow is a color
- Aunt and uncle should be capitalized
- Are Wrangler Jeans still well made
- How should I prepare boar meat
- Where can I buy and sell Peercoin
- What are the best books for filmmakers
- Can you cook tuna
- How many places are there in cricket?
- Wild foxes attack people
- What are your favorite street arts
- When was the 2nd World War
- Why does Quora have many social characteristics
- What are some popular romantic violin pieces
- Satellites move quickly
- What are load cases in Abaqus
- Will automation finish the job as a software developer
- What are deepfakes used for?
- What is Firefox Ghostery