Has the GDPR killed the Whois domain
ICANN: General Data Protection Regulation must be applied to Whois
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is "a kind of data controller" as the guardian of the personal data of domain owners. It must therefore implement the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) from May 25 this year, recognized the CEO of the private name administration, Göran Marby at the ongoing meeting of his organization in Puerto Rico. He urged the European governments represented in the ICANN government advisory board to present themselves to their respective national data protection officers in order to advertise a "balanced Whois".
"We have different things in our contracts, but no policy on how to balance the right to confidentiality and the need for access," said Marby. But that is exactly what the GDPR demands from ICANN for the first time. Violations could be costly for ICANN given the penalties provided. Marby called on the European government representatives to clarify in the Article 29 working group of European data protectors how much access to Whois must be restricted.
At the ICANN conference, a battle rages between those who want maximum access to names, e-mail addresses and other data of private domain owners secured and those who have long considered the Whois to be illegal under data protection law. In talks with registrars, the US supervisory authority NTIA even threatened legislative steps to make the publication of Whois data mandatory in the USA. In the government advisory board, a representative of the Federal Trade Commission advocated making at least the possibility of access to the Whois a precondition for an adaptation to the DGSVO. (anw)Read comments (50) Go to homepage
- Find the best web design services
- What bothers you after 80
- Claims are taxable
- What is etching in IC manufacturing
- Who owns Tesla shares
- One CAT is enough for the GMAT
- Which languages in Africa are tonal
- What were 2 promises from Hitler
- What are some military snare drums
- What will you choose talent or power
- What is optimistic locking versus pessimistic locking
- What is the best energy modeling software
- Bisexuality is becoming more and more common
- Why is makeup so ugly for women
- Are there really spirits of the dead
- What causes scuffing of the rear tires
- What is a mechanical engineer
- What does simple lie mean?
- What is a tug
- What's hot about Gucci Mane
- What makes startup culture so attractive?
- Who is this Greek philosopher
- What are some online courses on advertising
- Why mycomycin is chiral