How do I feel socially safe
When do we feel lonely?
Hidden suffering: More people suffer from loneliness than previously thought - and their number is increasing. According to a US study, the proportion of lonely people has doubled in the past 50 years. It is not only the elderly or the sick who are particularly affected. The researchers found that there is also a high phase of loneliness in the late twenties and mid-50s. Also interesting: social isolation is by no means always the main trigger.
Anyone who feels lonely does not only suffer psychologically. Because the feeling of social isolation also has specific physical effects and can even make you sick. Studies show that lonely people sleep worse, experience more stress and perceive pain and symptoms as worse. In addition, loneliness inhibits the immune system, so that those affected get sick more easily and possibly even age faster.
Three quarters feel lonely
But how many people are affected by loneliness? And what determines who feels lonely? This is what Ellen Lee from the University of California at San Diego and her team investigated in a study with 340 participants between the ages of 27 and 101. Using a standardized psychological test, they recorded the degree of loneliness of their subjects and also their living conditions.
The surprising result: three quarters of the participants felt that they were moderately to severely lonely - the researchers had expected a maximum of 50 percent. “This is remarkable because the participants in our study were not previously considered to be particularly vulnerable to loneliness,” says Lee's colleague Dilip Jeste. They did not have any mental disorders or illnesses and were also not socially isolated to an above-average degree. “Our participants were just normal people,” said Jeste.
Three high phases of loneliness in life
Also interesting: In the course of a life there are phases in which people particularly often suffer from loneliness. "The severity of loneliness and age have a complex correlation," the researchers say. So there is a high phase of loneliness at the end of life for those over 80 years of age. An obvious explanation for this is certainly the social isolation of many old people who have lost friends and life partners through death.
But even at a young age there are particularly lonely phases in life, as the study reveals. People in their late twenties seem to suffer particularly often from loneliness. Another phase of life with a high potential for loneliness is the age around 50 - the classic midlife crisis. These noticeable clusters were found in both men and women, as the scientists report.
Social isolation isn't the only trigger
But why do people feel lonely at all? For a long time, social isolation was the main factor behind this feeling. But the new study was only able to confirm this in part: "Our results suggest that we need to think differently about loneliness," says Lee. “It's not just about social isolation. A person can be alone and still not feel lonely. Another, on the other hand, is in the midst of people and still feels lonely. "
The researchers emphasize that the complex causes of loneliness are by no means all clear. “There are currently more gaps than answers,” says Jeste. However, three factors seem to have an influence at least to a certain extent: Accordingly, people who live alone are more susceptible. On the other hand, those who are mentally more positive and stable, as well as people with greater wisdom, seem to be better protected.
Wiser people are also less lonely
“This could be due to the characteristics that commonly define wisdom: empathy and compassion, good emotional self-control, and the ability to self-reflect can effectively counteract or even prevent loneliness,” explains Lee. "A wiser society could therefore also be a happier and less lonely society." (International Psychogeriatrics, 2018; doi: 10.1017 / S1041610218002120)
Source: University of California - San DiegoDecember 27, 2018
- Nadja Podbregar
- How do you win after 10 + 2
- Why did you lose faith in someone
- What is winged eyeliner
- What is HADR exercise
- How to find your dog with microchips
- What equations are mathematicians currently solving?
- What is LivesOne What is LivesToken
- How do I disconnect an inverter
- All MMA fighters train BJJ
- How lightning rods protect houses
- Why do others use water pumps
- What causes spider bites while sleeping
- How do I uninstall Anaconda 1
- What limits the growth of insects
- Honda is considered a cheap brand
- What are the methods of retailing
- What are the purposes of a tank
- What are snipers doing on duty
- What superpower should I do
- How can you make salt water properly
- Weiss Bloodraven a little bit about R + L J.
- Where does normal milk come from?
- How do neurons fire
- Gurgaon is the capital in Haryana
- What's the best telemedicine app
- A Porsche 997 will gain in value
- What does OCH mean when writing SMS
- Why does this sentence use hits
- What are some methods to learn deeply
- What is the mentality of the Hungarian boys
- Is Dubai a good place for Indians
- What is 67 out of 100
- Where are you fleeing to
- How is the concentration of electromagnetic waves measured