What is managed hosting
What is managed hosting?
Hosting means the provision of IT infrastructure ─ not in-house, but externally, usually in a specialized data center. This also requires support and management of this system: And just as the physical hardware of the server is often no longer in-house, there are also human resources for support outside the company. This range of additional services is called managed hosting. What is managed hosting? What are the characteristics? What are the advantages and what are the costs of having fun? We want to explain that in this overview article.
What is managed hosting?
Managed hosting means the combination of outsourced IT infrastructure and its management. The extent to which the maintenance of the infrastructure is outsourced to an external provider or the extent to which the customer is still operational is contractually regulated. This support covers different areas:
- Maintenance and upgrades of the operating system and necessary software
- Surveillance and monitoring
- Data security measures
- Maintenance of the hardware and the network
- Ongoing advice
Managed hosting is particularly interesting if the customer does not have the technical know-how or the human resources to take over the entire support and management of the IT infrastructure himself.
What types of managed hosting are there?
Managed hosting is always an individual solution. There are several types of technology that are available for outsourcing and from which to choose.
- Dedicated hosting: With dedicated hosting, a single server is only available to the customer for his system. No other parties are filed here.
- Shared hosting: The customer shares a physical server with other customers, but has an isolated area for himself there, isolated from the rest.
- Cloud hosting: The dedicated, physical server no longer exists. The customer is provided with a so-called virtual server (also called a virtual machine, or VM for short), isolated from other systems.
But not only the underlying technologies differ. Above all, managed hosting is characterized by the management and service packages that have been booked. Managed hosting doesn't always have to be fully managed mean - the solution in which the hosting provider takes over all management tasks (configuration, monitoring, operation). Agreements are also possible where only parts of the operation and management are taken over by the hoster and other areas remain the responsibility of the customer.
What is possible with managed hosting in the area of automation?
In recent years it has been shown that automation plays an increasingly important role both in the provision of virtual servers and in infrastructure monitoring. A customer panel is often offered for this purpose, in which the customer can manage the automation of his IT infrastructure. Such self-management platforms are important for hosting solutions in which the customer books the servers externally, but continues to manage them himself. With managed hosting solutions, on the other hand, customer panels play a rather subordinate role. With these, the customer usually has two advantages: He gets insights into the services he has booked, such as information about the utilization of the network or access numbers at different times. In addition, customer panels offer the option of ordering additional services in self-service. This is particularly interesting for customers of managed web hosting. Additional services such as additional domains, SSL certificates or software as a service can be provided automatically in the customer panel.
What are the benefits of managed hosting?
The managed hosting solution is always one individually tailored package and therefore more expensive than "off the shelf". However, such individual solutions bring some advantages.
As written above, the degree of external support depends on the technical know-how, the human and time resources and the structures of the respective customer company. Managed hosting has the advantage that companies with little or no technical know-how can use a modern and functional IT infrastructure that is tailored to their needs.
You now know what is meant by managed hosting. Do you want to find out if this service suits you too? Click here and let the Anexia experts answer your open questions by email or phone.
- What is a long code SMS service
- Why doesn't Pixar outsource animations
- How do I learn Linux 1
- Creativity is useful in chess
- What are typical questions about Quora
- Is Moore's Law really a scientific law?
- What tastes good with anchovies
- Andrew Yang is white
- Why are bowling balls spinning
- What do you mean by trespassing
- Was there someone who died after apartheid
- How do I sell services to startups
- Why do some connections dissolve?
- Can Addison's Disease Cause Cancer
- What makes PHP developers sad
- Why are planes stable
- Where does milk come from
- How do I know I love her
- Which philosophical views do you find ridiculous
- Would you buy this auto diagnostic toolbox
- What's wrong with the world
- What is superbowl 1
- There is a Fiat-independent stable coin
- What makes a perfect evening wear