Why is Wikipedia's layout the way it is
Available since: Version 0.20.0
1. Via MediaWiki
MediaWiki is the software that supports the Wikimedia suite of wikis.
Read more about MediaWiki on Wikipedia.
2. MediaWiki on FreedomBox
MediaWiki is designed to be publicly readable and privately editable on FreedomBox. Only registered users are allowed to make changes to the wiki. Such a design prevents spam and vandalism in the wiki.
2.1. User administration
Users can only be created by the MediaWiki administrator (user "admin"). You can also use the "admin" user to reset passwords for MediaWiki users. If you forget the administration password, it can be reset at any time via the MediaWiki app page in the web interface.
2.2. use cases
MediaWiki is very versatile and can be used for many creative purposes. It also comes with a lot of extensions (plugins) and beauty themes and is very customizable.
2.2.1. Personal knowledge store
MediaWiki can be your personal knowledge store on FreedomBox. Since MediaWiki offers good multimedia support, you can write notes, save pictures, create checklists, save references and bookmarks, etc. in an organized manner. You can save the knowledge of your lifetime in your MediaWiki instance.
2.2.2. Community wiki
A community of users can use MediaWiki as a common repository for knowledge and reference material. It can be used as a notice board for the university, a documentation server for a small company, a shared notebook for study groups or as a fan wiki like Wikia.
2.2.3. Personal wiki-based website
Several websites on the internet are just instances of MediaWiki. MediaWiki is read-only by visitor on FreedomBox. Because of this, it can be customized to serve as your personal website or blog. MediaWiki content is easy to export and can later be moved around to use a different blog engine.
2.3. Editing of wiki content
The MediaWiki attachment on FreedomBox comes with a basic editor with a toolbar for general options like bold, italic, etc. Click the Advanced section to see more options like headings, bullets, and more.
2.3.1. Visual editor
MediaWiki's new visual editor offers a WYSIWYG user interface for creating wiki pages. This is still a beta feature and is not provided by default in MediaWiki. As a workaround, you can write your content using the visual editor at Wikipedia's sandbox, switch to source edit mode, and copy the content to your wiki.
2.3.2. Other formats
You don't necessarily need to learn MediaWiki's formatting language. You can write in your favorite format (Markdown, Org mode, LaTeX, etc.) and use Pandoc to convert it to MediaWiki format.
2.3.3. Upload pictures
Uploading images has been enabled since FreedomBox version 0.36.0. You can also use images from Wikimedia Commons directly with a feature called Instant Commons.
MediaWiki's default skin is usually Vector. The default skin set by FreedomBox is Timeless.
Vector is a skin that is best suited to be viewed on the desktop browser. However, it is unsuitable for mobile screen sizes. Wikimedia websites host a separate mobile site. A separate mobile website is not worthwhile for small MediaWiki systems like the one on FreedomBox. Using a mobile-friendly skin like Timeless is a cheaper solution.
Administrators can set a standard skin for the "Settings" app. However, users of the website can choose to display it with a different skin.
3. External links
Back to Introduction to Features or Manual Pages.
- What happens to benefit from expired Groupons
- How do I understand my introverted husband
- How many isomers of methane are there
- How can a student study C online
- There are two narwhals with tusks
- Why won't braces close my gaps?
- What are the career opportunities for trading
- Pays YouTube for the upload bandwidth
- AliExpress is reliable for countries outside of China
- What is worth living and dying for
- How did the Big Bang overcome gravity
- What is the logic behind death
- Which website teaches guitar motif development
- How does Facebook advertise itself
- How to polish stones by hand
- How hot airports are
- Can cats eat cashew nuts safely?
- When will the AIIMS form be published?
- Why were fortifications obsolete immediately after World War II
- Can you tame a rattlesnake
- Is someone else using MS DOS
- Which animes have the best antagonists
- Where did the stories of the mermaids come from?
- Is microdermabrasion effective for acne scar removal