Where is the city of Compton
Compton is a suburb of the Californian metropolis Los Angeles. The city had 96,455 inhabitants at the 2010 census and is located around 20 km south of downtown Los Angeles on the Los Angeles River in Los Angeles County. Compton was named after Griffith D. Compton who led a group of settlers to the site in 1867.
The place has been used for gang wars since the late 1980s Bloods, Crips and meanwhile too Sureños as well as a generally high crime rate. Compton was one of the origins of gangsta rap, the hip-hop album Straight Outta Compton and groups like Compton’s Most Wanted and especially N.W.A made the city known nationwide. Compton is still one of the most dangerous cities in the United States, but the crime rate has been falling for years.
The city of Compton is located roughly in the middle of the densely populated Los Angeles metropolitan area between the San Gabriel Mountains and the Pacific coast. It lies at a height of around 15 meters and is directly connected to the neighboring cities of Carson, Lynwood and Paramount as well as the non-parish towns of Dominguez, East Compton and Willowbrook.
The history of the city of Compton dates back to the late 18th century when the area on which most of the present city lies was discovered and conquered by the Spanish. In 1784 the Spanish kingdom transferred to Juan José Dominguez, a former soldier of the country, an area of around 300 km² that occupied the southwestern part of what is now the greater Los Angeles area. In the east it was bounded by the Los Angeles River from about the height of today's Compton to the sea coast in the south (today Long Beach), in the west it was enough Rancho San Pedro known land over the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Manhattan Beach also to the Pacific coast.
After the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) the area fell to the United States. In 1866, Francis Temple and Fielding Gibson, two Americans, acquired an area of around 19 km², on which in July 1867 it was at the current level Wilmington Avenue the first permanent settlement began. In the summer of the same year a group of settlers under the leadership of Griffith Dickenson Compton and William Morton reached the then still as Gibsonville designated place on the Los Angeles River and founded the small community in the fall of 1868 Comptonville.
The settlement was shortened to “Compton” in the summer of the following year, when the US Postal Service asked citizens to rename it when it granted its own post office in order to avoid confusion with a mining town that had already been established north of Sacramento when delivering letters . On May 11, 1888, the community-free settlement was finally opened up to the city of Compton.
The city of Compton has been exposed to enormous gang crime for decades, with bloody clashes between rival groups. In 1988, the hip hop musical group made N.W.A in their music album Straight Outta Compton drew attention to the lawlessness that they believed to be prevalent in Compton and brought the suburb of Los Angeles into the spotlight of the media.
The average age of Compton's citizens is 25, and the proportion of people under the age of 18 in the 2000 census was 38.5%. The census authority also determined that for every 100 women over the age of 18 there are - statistically speaking - 91.2 men. More than half (56.8%) of the population are Hispanic, and 40.3 percent are Afro-Americans.
The median income for a household is $ 31,819 and the median income for a family is $ 33,021. Men earn an average of $ 22,698, while women average $ 24,692. The per capita income is $ 10,389. 28% of the population and 25.5% of families live below the poverty line.
The composition of the population according to Race is as follows (2000):
- 56.8% Latinos and Hispanics of all nationalities
- 40% non-Hispanic blacks and African Americans
- 1.0% non-Hispanic whites
- 1.0% Indigenous Americans (Indians)
- 1.2% other and two or more nationalities
In 2010 the composition of the population was as follows:
- 32.9% black and African American
- 25.9% whiteness
- 0.7% Pacific islanders
- 0.7% Indigenous Americans
- 0.3% Asians
- 36.2% other nationalities
- 3.4% two or more nationalities
- 65.0% were Latinos and Hispanics of all represented nationalities
Compton is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States. In 2006 the private research institute determined Morgan Quitnothat Compton is the most dangerous city with a population between 75,000 and 99,999 and on top of that is the fourth most dangerous, including all US cities. The murder rate in Compton is eight times the national average. The main reason for the high murder rate is gang crime and the high prevalence of firearms. Since the local police officers were repeatedly accused of involvement in the clashes of the gangs, the municipality of Compton dissolved the entire police department in 2000. Since then, police violence has been exercised by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The crime rate has an index of 660.6 points. In 2005 there were 65 murders, 40 rapes, 474 robberies, 1157 physical attacks on people, 638 break-ins, 971 thefts, 1006 car thefts and 91 arson attacks.
Compton is served by five highways with Interstates 105, 110, 405 and 710 and California State Route 91. With Compton / Woodley Airport, Compton has its own airport.
In addition, Compton is by the north to south trending Blue line connected to the Los Angeles Metro. The Compton Station is located in the city center next to the Renaissance Shopping Center and the Artesia Station is located at the Acacia Avenue.
Culture and sights
The Heritage House (House for Cultural Heritage) near the Civic Center Plaza deals with the history of the city. The one in a rustic building on the corner Myrrh and Willowbrook The museum located in the area illustrates the strong differences between the simple life in the 19th century and today's lifestyle, which has been adapted to progress. This is another cultural site Tomorrow's Aeronautical Museum, an aviation museum looking to the future with youth programs and a training center. On the other hand, the focus is on sporting talent from Southern California Major League Baseball Academywho promotes young baseball players.
At the beginning of December there is an annual Christmas parade in Compton (Annual Compton Christmas Parade) instead of; the 2006 event was the 54th in the city's history. In addition, every year on April 7th the Eazy-E Day in honor of the late rapper Eazy-E.
The city is in Compton Unified School District. The school district is currently participating in the University of California (Irvine) FOCUS program, which aims to provide increased support for math and science. With the Centennial, the Dominguez as well as the Compton High School Compton has three secondary schools and there are two more in town Colleges and Yuin University.
Compton has partnerships with the following cities:
sons and daughters of the town
- Dominique Arnold (* 1973), athlete
- Dick Attlesey (1929-1984), hurdler
- Coolio (born 1963), rapper
- Ice Cube (* 1969), rapper, producer, actor, former member of N.W.A.
- MC Ren (* 1969), rapper, former member of N.W.A
- Eazy-E (1964–1995), rapper, former member of N.W.A, founder of the label: Ruthless Records.
- Dr. Dre (* 1965), rapper and hip-hop producer, former member of N.W.A, founder of the label: Aftermath Entertainment.
- DJ Yella (* 1967), DJ, music producer and film director, former member of N.W.A
- India (* 1977), dancer, singer and former porn actress
- Krist Novoselić (* 1965), bassist in the former grunge band Nirvana
- Tayshaun Prince (born 1980), basketball player
- The Game (* 1979), former member of the G Unit group, co-founder of the record label The Black Wall Street Records
- MC Eiht (* 1967), rapper
- Suge Knight (born 1965), hip-hop producer
- DJ Quik (* 1970), hip-hop DJ and producer
- Ryu (rapper) (* 1975), rapper, member of Styles of Beyonde
- Dennis Johnson (1954-2007), basketball player
- B. G. Knocc Out (* 1975), rapper
- Terrance Quaites (* 1976), R&B singer
- Tyga (* 1989), rapper, member of Young Money
- 2nd II None, hip hop group
- James Coburn (1928–2002), actor
- Katherine De Hetre (1946–2007), actress
- Anthony Anderson (born 1970), actor and comedian
- Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E., hip hop group
- Mausberg (1979-2000), rapper
- Thomas Lister junior (1958–2020), actor and former basketball player and wrestler
- Compton’s Most Wanted, hip-hop group
- King Tee (born 1968), rapper
- Greydon Square (* 1981), hip-hop artist
- DeMar DeRozan (* 1989), professional basketball player for the San Antonio Spurs
- Brandon Jennings (* 1989), professional basketball player (free agent)
- Kendrick Lamar (* 1987), rapper and songwriter
- YG (* 1990), rapper
- Richard Sherman (born 1988), football player
- Arron Afflalo (* 1985), professional basketball player with the Sacramento Kings
- Nadine Conner (1907-2003), singer
- Roddy Ricch (* 1998), singer, rapper and music producer
- ↑US Census Bureau 2010 Census Interactive Population Map. (No longer available online.) In: census.gov. Formerly in the original; accessed on April 24, 2017 (English). @ 1 @ 2 Template: Dead Link / www.census.gov (Page no longer available, search inWeb archives) Info: The link was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ http: //www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/compton.htm
- ↑ Statistical data from the census authority
- ↑City Crime Rankings by Population. Morgan Quitno Press, archived from the original on September 5, 2012; accessed on April 24, 2017 (English).
- ↑ http://articles.latimes.com/2000/jul/12/local/me-51589
- ↑ Archive link (Memento from July 21, 2015 in Internet Archive)
- ↑ http: //www.pasadenastarnews.com/government-and-politics/20131022/some-irwindale-residents-call-on-city-to-disband-police-department
Media used on this page
- Which animal has transparent blood?
- The forearm becomes dark by trimming
- What is the recommended pitch bend value
- Which are Top Social Book Marking Sites
- What is demographic change
- Why are people crazy about others
- The term founder should be capitalized
- Can you write a poem about the business?
- When did George H W Bush die
- Is Kensington Brooklyn Safe
- Who is the actress in Jugadi Jatt
- What religion is really troubling
- Is it worth it to drink coffee
- What are your favorite animated short films
- Does Mederma work for acne scars
- What if Apple bought Disney?
- Will AI take the place of translators
- What is a Tu Quoque
- Which overseas automobile manufacturer used ERP first?
- How do I change Social Security withholding?
- Aren't we all hypocritical
- What are some recipes for cruciferous vegetables
- What is Eckankar
- Why can't these people eat themselves?