Which is more ductile BCC or FCC
Why do FCC metals not have a temperature transition from brittle to ductile?
For what it's worth (http://materialiaindica.ning.com/forum/topics/ductile-brittle-transition):
"Let's compare BCC and FCC here. At high temperatures, both have movable dislocations and can therefore withstand large plastic deformations without suffering breakage.
At low temperatures, dislocations in BCC can no longer be mobile, but dislocations in FCC can still move very quickly. This lack of dislocation movement makes BCC brittle while FCC remains ductile ...
The crucial question now is why dislocations in the FCC remain mobile at low temperatures, while dislocations in the BCC make it increasingly difficult to move when the temperature is lowered.
This is easy to understand: in the FCC, there are tightly packed layers that belong to every hatch system, and hatch means that a corner atom is moved to the center of the face.
Although there are as many slip systems in BCC as in FCC (12), the movement of dislocations occurs only when an atomic line jumps from one potential energy valley to another (called Peierls valleys) - a process that could do so through the application of stress or improved by thermal activation. The planes are not as tightly packed and any slip means that a corner atom is moved to the center of the cube. Thus, one would see kink nucleation and propagation in the BCC dislocation motion because the cost of moving a number of atoms from the corner to the center at one time is too high.
In summary, the movement of BCC dislocations is activated thermally, while the movement of (relative) FCC dislocations requires much less activation. This causes BCC materials to become brittle at low temperatures, while FCC remains ductile regardless of temperature - but probably not at 0 Kelvin as an atom has yet to be moved. However, I think there is an activation energy for the FCC slip, only it is much less than kbT. "
- How do companies use consumers
- How can you maintain your own garden
- What is a Stratis coin
- Are self-signed SSL certificates acceptable?
- Have you ever survived a fatal diagnosis?
- Are propane grills better than natural gas
- How are perfect numbers determined
- Rap and rock music are dead
- Where can I buy good hunting blinds
- Machines have emotions
- Why is TXT so popular
- Difficult to answer my previous questions
- Can use Kakashi wind element
- What percentage of America do drugs
- What are Proven Marketing Tactics From Experts
- AIIMS offers free WiFi in hostels
- Is steel a connection or an element
- What is a micro-singularity
- Where do the Celts come from
- How has your manager helped your career
- What is the face value in trading
- How does OpenBTS
- All colors can be found in nature
- Are you glad you can't fly
- What do South Koreans think of Westerners
- Is gynecomastia surgery safe 1
- How to make homemade mayonnaise
- What are popular approaches to intermittent fasting
- Shall we take speed time distance
- What does yarou mean in Japanese?
- What is the best facial soap
- How bad is Lionel Messi
- Who are the best pediatricians in India
- How mighty your God is