How can I reset an iPhone 5?
The information portal for safe cell phone use
If you have forgotten the lock code for your iPhone or iPad or the screen does not react to anything, a hard reset can help. With the help of a computer and a USB cable, you reset your device to the factory settings.
However, a hard reset means that all data on your device will be erased and cannot be recovered. If you still want to reset your device, just follow our step-by-step instructions.
1. Optional: Have your Apple ID and password ready
When it comes to resetting the device, it makes a difference whether or not you previously activated the "Find my iPhone" or "Find my iPad" setting.
You can find the function in the "Where is?" under .
If this setting was active before the incident, you will need your Apple ID, with which your device was last linked, and the corresponding password after the reset.
After the reset, your device will ask you for this access data. You can only use the iPhone or iPad again after you have entered this information. So have this data ready before starting the process.
If the setting was not active, you can set up the device after resetting as if you had just bought it. You do not need any further access data.
Restriction: You can only create five new Apple IDs with each iOS device. If you have already used all of these IDs, you cannot create a new ID after resetting, but have to use an existing one to set up.
2. Switch off the iPhone or iPad
Turn off your device by long pressing the power button.
3. Connect the device to the computer
Now you need a computer and a USB cable. For this step, the iTunes program must be installed on Windows PCs and older Macs (up to macOS Mojave 10.14). If you did not install the program, download it now.
With newer Macs (from macOS Catalina 10.15) you only need the Finder. (To find out which version of MacOS you have installed, move your mouse to the top of the screen. Click the little apple on the left, then click "About This Mac".)
While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer using the USB cable. Pressing the home button prevents the mobile device from turning on. The iPhone or iPad never has to have been connected to the computer before.
4. Reset device
iTunes usually opens automatically on the computer. If not, open the program.
If you're using macOS Catalina 10.15, go to Finder. Once connected, your iPhone will appear in the device list on the left. Click the device name.
This guide was created using an older Mac computer and iTunes. The instructions look very similar in the Finder.
5. Confirm the reset
6. Wait for the loading process
7. Optional: Enter Apple ID and password
8. Wait for a restart
9. Set up the device again
You can now set up the device again.
Note: We recommend that you always keep the "Find my iPhone / iPad" setting, which is activated at the factory, in order to lock the device to strangers. If a thief or finder is unable to use your device, the likelihood of getting it back to you increases.
- Do professors have favorite students
- Can Hindi unite all of India
- Should I join Snapchat?
- What is the musical comedy Nunsense about?
- If 4x 2 2x what is x
- Where do raccoons go during the day
- Tez updated on Google Pay why
- What does a house capital represent
- Bruce Wayne would use social media
- What are the precautions for diabetes
- What is a delicious and healthy salad dressing
- Can i buy heavy water
- What is fiber
- Is Martes a good Spanish name
- What do gorillas eat
- Why doesn't my squash ball bounce
- Is computer science a math degree
- What do cartilage joints do
- What is the national animal of Tibet
- What are the advantages of VDI
- Why do ideal solutions not form azeotropic mixtures
- How do I get to Fidelity Investments
- Why are the cells deprived of oxygen?
- Can meditation reduce anger