When do airports close due to snow?
Passengers are stuck : Frankfurt Airport closed due to snow
After heavy snowfall, the largest German airport in Frankfurt am Main was temporarily closed on Tuesday. Hundreds of flights were canceled in the morning due to snowy runways. According to Fraport AG, air traffic is expected to resume around 1.30 p.m. Then the snowfall should stop. The work vehicles did not comply with the clearing.
The “March winter” will not let go of Germany and large parts of Europe in the coming days either. Snow and freezing cold arrived in the middle of the country on Tuesday and will move further south in the coming days, according to meteorologists.
Serious car accidents and miles of traffic jams occurred on motorways and roads, especially in Hesse and North Rhine-Westphalia. In Berlin, snow and ice partially paralyzed S-Bahn traffic. Several schools in Hessen gave their students snow-free. In France, hundreds of drivers snowed in on a national road in the northwest.
In a collision on a country road near Bornheim in North Rhine-Westphalia, four people were injured, some seriously. According to the police, four cars crashed into each other on a snow-covered road on Monday evening. A 37-year-old and her 14-year-old son were seriously injured in the Oberbergischer Kreis.
A car driver was killed in a slippery road accident in Stadtallendorf, Hesse. A 30-year-old man was seriously injured in a car accident in Trendelburg near Kassel when his vehicle slipped off the slippery road on Tuesday night, the police said. Several people were slightly injured in accidents in Rhineland-Palatinate.
In the north, however, the situation calmed down somewhat. Hundreds of accidents occurred in Schleswig-Holstein in snow and ice. But mostly it remained with sheet metal damage, said the police in Lübeck. The big wave of accidents did not materialize. Schools in the northernmost federal state were also running as planned, as was the case in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. "The streets now look much better than the day before," said a spokeswoman in Schwerin. In Berlin, snow and ice led to restrictions in S-Bahn traffic.
Heavy snowfalls surprised numerous drivers in north-west France on Monday evening. Several hundred people were snowed in with their cars on National Road 13 between Saint-Joseph and Cherbourg. The responsible prefecture of the department of Manche in Normandy appealed on its Facebook page to residents of the region, the “castaways of the road”, to provide help wherever possible.
Ski lift operators in Hessen can extend the season in view of the fresh snow of up to 20 centimeters. As Jörg Wilke said in Willingen in the north of Hesse, the conditions are very good, the slopes are in top condition and there are almost no waiting times at the lifts. 70 to 80 centimeters of snow lay on the slopes in Hesse's largest ski area. Until next week, the downhill skiers can also go down the slopes in the evening under floodlights.
Meteorologists see no prospect of spring yet: the “March winter” is spreading across Germany. On Tuesday the west and the middle got a heavy load of snow, in the north there were consistently minus temperatures, only in the south the thermometer still showed positive degrees. There, too, frost sets in over the course of the week. At the weekend, the meteorologists expect a slight improvement. Meteorologists speak of “March winter” when a cold snap slows down spring again in March. "It's not that rare," said meteorologist Thomas Ruppert from the German Weather Service. (dpa)
- There are many ERP systems for SMEs
- Which street does the Bronx begin on?
- Which is the friendliest region in England
- Have more than 5000 credits
- What is monochromatic stainless steel
- Why is the phase velocity not physically observable
- How do people abuse fentanyl
- What is the ideology of Narendra Modi
- How do I find an iCloud account
- Why don't more programmers use marijuana?
- There are mountains in Washington DC
- What does a cryptocurrency miner do
- How do you season hamburgers
- What exactly are traditional fish and chips
- Portable voice translators are becoming popular
- Where can you get freedom
- What is an ankle bone
- A mayor of the city could declare martial law
- Which saxophone should I never buy?
- How to make a simple drone
- Are real data entry jobs authentic
- Why do French Jews live so long
- What is 9 x 9 x 9
- How much does RAM affect the processing speed?
- What shall we stop being ashamed of?
- What is the importance of nuclear fusion
- Why is Asia so densely populated
- Can cooking oil be reused
- How do I save changes in iMovie
- Nothing is grammatically correct
- Psychopaths start doing something subconsciously
- Is dependent on a strong nuclear charge
- Why should we talk about the existence of extraterrestrials