What does 10 out of 1000 mean
A test (for example a disease test) gives the correct answer in 99% of the cases, but the wrong answer in 1% of the cases. In Germany (80 million inhabitants) 100,000 are sick, all people are tested. Then the following results:
- Of the 100,000 sick, 99,000 are recognized as sick, 1,000 are mistakenly believed to be healthy.
- Of the 79,900,000 healthy people, 1%, i.e. 799,000 people, are mistakenly believed to be sick.
Conclusion: A total of 99,000 + 799,000 people (ie 898,000 people) are declared sick - of these, however, only 99,000 (ie about 11%) are really sick.
To differentiate one speaks of Error of the first kind (the percentage of sick people mistakenly believed to be healthy) and dated Error of the second kind (the percentage of healthy people who are mistakenly considered sick): In our example we assumed that both errors are 1%, but in practice these percentages will be different - only the following applies: no test is infallible, it always occurs Errors of the first and second kind).
To assess whether a test makes sense, the (of course only estimated) ratio of the number x of patients to the number y of healthy people plays an essential role.
(In our example, 1% of y was significantly greater than 99% of x - in such a case the test makes little sense; especially if the testing itself should have possible side effects.)
- What is the greatest innovation in computers
- How would other people characterize your strength
- IBS is just fear
- Which European empire was the weakest
- Which campus is CS at KCL
- Why are most Apple products buttonless
- When are Facebook ads billed
- Are artistic skills related to the breed
- Can vitamins cause chest pain
- What is the most unsinkable ship
- What's your favorite project management book
- What time does swing dance come from
- What types of beetles eat wood
- What is a financial account
- What does a writer have to do
- Military use hypnosis in some form
- Do MacBooks need a factory reset
- What is your preferred software design pattern
- How can I start breeding dogs
- How do I write a copy of the advertisement
- How much can you mine Bitcoin
- How are snowstorms made
- What is the conjugate base of NH3
- How do I prevent an emotional outburst