Why do laptop batteries degrade so quickly
How do you know when it's time to replace the battery?
Batteries don't last forever. As you charge and discharge the battery, it deteriorates, and over time, a full charge will shorten the life of the battery. Finally, the battery or the device must be replaced.
The battery capacity decreases over time
A battery doesn't just run from one good day to the next badly the next. Instead, the batteries slowly degrade over time. This capacity reduction takes place gradually over many charging cycles. You won't notice it until you realize that you used to draw a few hours more battery power from one charge.
CONNECTED:Debunking Myths About Battery Life For Cell Phones, Tablets And Laptops
You can extend the life of your battery and increase its capacity by properly caring for your battery. However, you cannot avoid battery deterioration forever. If you change devices frequently - a new phone every few years or so - you may never notice. You may also find that the problem doesn't get bad enough to do something before it's time to replace your device again. For devices like laptops that you are likely to keep for longer, you may need to replace the battery at some point.
Some devices even warn you when the battery change time is up. On other devices, you can often find third-party apps that you can use to check the health of your battery.
View the status of a device's battery
Unfortunately, many devices do not display battery health warnings in advance. You will either notice a problem yourself or the battery will simply fail. Even devices that include a warning often fail to notify you in advance. It's worth checking the battery yourself every now and then.
Here's how to find out about the battery health of some common operating systems and devices:
CONNECTED:How to know when to replace your laptop battery
- Windows laptops: We recommend NirSoft's BatteryInfoView to determine the battery status of a Windows laptop. However, you can use other utilities as well.
- MacBooks: Hold down the Option key and click the battery icon in the menu bar. The "Condition:" line is displayed here.
- iPhones and iPads: You can also ask Apple Support to report the battery status of your iPhone or iPad. However, if you want to see for yourself, then one of the apps in this guide will be helpful.
- Android Phones: Unfortunately, most Android users are unlucky. Some older phones display battery health information when you open the dialer and enter * # * # 4636 # * # *. However, this doesn't seem to work on modern phones.
On other devices, find the device type and battery status for instructions.
When is it time to replace a battery?
Whatever your device says about the health of your battery, the rest is up to you. If your battery is showing 40 percent of its original capacity, but you are still happy with the battery life, you don't have to pay a lot for a replacement until it degrades until it becomes bothersome.
CONNECTED:Here's how to see which apps are draining your battery on an iPhone or iPad
On the other hand, if you've seen a device battery life drops sharply and you'll have to wait longer between charges. It is probably time to replace the battery. Be sure to follow the tips on how to extend a device's battery life before deciding if the battery's hardware is faulty. They can just be background applications that drain your device's battery faster.
How to replace a battery
If you have a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or tablet, any other device with a removable battery is easy to swap out. All you have to do is buy a replacement battery specifically designed for your device, turn the device off, and then replace the current battery with a new one. This gives your device a fresh battery with maximum capacity.
Nowadays, however, devices are often manufactured in such a way that you cannot access the battery yourself - at least not without further ado or without your warranty being voided. Instead, the manufacturer will have to replace the battery for you. For example, you can take an old iPhone, iPad, or MacBook to an Apple Store and pay a fee to have Apple employees open your device and replace the battery for you. Check whether your manufacturer offers this service.
Of course, even on devices without a slightIf you tend to do so and do not consider the risks involved, you always have the option of doing this yourself. You could open your device, get a spare battery, and try to lock it again. However, we don't necessarily recommend this. Too many modern devices have batteries and other components that are glued together and not designed to be opened.
The battery status that your device reports You can decide whether a battery change is required, but the decision is ultimately yours. If your battery feels fine to you, you don't need to do anything right now. Better to use the money on a future device swap. When the battery is no longer performing well and you're not interested in replacing your device, it's time to replace it.
Photo credit: Karlis Dambrans on Flickr
- What if Finland won World War II?
- How do I heal weaknesses
- How can I download Minecraft maps
- How do companies deal with the competition
- Resting heart rate is normal
- Is Swift faster than Typescript
- Why do people keep hurting me
- What is the best car amplifier 1
- How is the standard deviation used in commerce
- How many series does Teen Wolf have
- How do you get interpersonal skills training
- What are your favorite songs for guilty pleasure
- Look at pennies of trash
- How does the risk affect an investment return?
- Why doesn't Pixar outsource animations
- Can you help me identify this snake?
- What are the reviews on Keto Buzz
- Tumblr is always popular for gay porn
- What is the formula of potassium iodine
- Can we keep cell phones in NDA
- How do I make butter chicken
- How do you define a fitness trainer
- How do I treat telogen effluvium
- Are meat substitutes less healthy than meat
- What are the types of vegetation
- How do I write a copy of the advertisement
- What is the future of philately
- How can I create an infinite Instagram account
- Career option for a b com student
- Has airport security got out of hand?
- Which degree is required for computer technology
- Sweet corn is naturally sweet
- When are popular referendums a good idea?
- Can an atom have no protons