Where should I host my static website
Publish your website
When you've got your website ready, written all the code, and organized the files, it's time to get your website online. In this article you will learn how to make your new website, which you created in the last few articles, available online for everyone.
What are your options?
Putting a website online is not an easy subject, mainly because there are many different ways to do it. In this article, we are not going to cover all of the possibilities. We will introduce three strategies and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each of these paths and, for our example website, describe exactly one path that any beginner can follow.
Hosting and your own domain
If you want full control of your published website, you will need to invest a bit of money to buy:
- Hosting - you rent data space on the web server of a hosting company. You upload your files to the web server and it takes the website to the users who want to access the website.
- A domain - this is the unique address at which your website can be found, such as, or. You rent the domain from a domain registry for so many years.
Many professional websites use this route to get online.
You also need a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program to transfer your files from your computer to the web server. FTP programs differ in their functionality, but usually you have to log in with the data of the web server that you get from the hosting company (username, password, host name, etc.). The program shows you the files on your local computer in one window and the files on the web server in a second window and you can move files back and forth:
Tips to find hosting and domains
- We do not promote any specific commercial hosting companies or domain registrars here, there are a very large number of providers. Just search for "web hosting" and "register domain". You will always be able to check whether the desired domain is free or whether it has already been registered by someone else.
- There are some free offers, for example lima-city.de, Neocities, Blogger and WordPress. It is often the case that small websites with few visitors can be hosted for free, but when they have larger projects there are additional costs. Some of these providers work without FTP programs and are very beginner-friendly.
- Often hosting providers also offer a domain service.
With GitHub or Google App Engine
There are tools you can use to publish websites:
- GitHub is a site where you can collaborate on code with others. It allows you to upload repositories to the GitVersion control system save. These project archives can be viewed online by others and can be edited. The system is open source, meaning anyone in the world can look into your repositories on GitHub, find your code, use it, learn from your code, and improve it. GitHub has a feature called GitHub Pages that lets you bring website code live to the web.
- Google App Engine is a powerful platform with Google's infrastructure on which you can create and run apps. Whether you want to build a large web application or want to host a static website. You can find more about this here in English: How do you host your website on Google App Engine?
In contrast to other providers, these tools are usually free of charge, but they are also limited.
Use of an online development environment
Take a look at some of these examples and find out what works for you:
Publish with GitHub
We will now publish your website together on the Internet. Here we use GitHub Pages for this.
- First, log into GitHub and verify your email address.
- Next, create a repository into which your files from the website will go.
- On this page you enter the Repository name box username.github.io, where username Your username is. For example, maxmustermann would be here maxmustermann.github.io enter.
Activate too Initialize this repository with a README and then click Create repository.
- Then you can simply drag and drop content into your data archive with the mouse and then click on Commit changes click.
note: Make sure your folder is one index.html File has.
Now go to a new window in your browser username.github.io to view your website online. As an example, you can go to the following GitHub website: chrisdavidmills.github.io.
note: It may take a few minutes for your website to go live. If you don't see them right away, wait a while and try again after a while.
To learn more, go to GitHub Pages Help.
Further reading material (in English)
- How was the four-color theorem proven
- How many miles can a car last
- Toyota was a zaibatsu
- What is the English word for Sikhaya
- What is a gradient in math
- Why do gaming keyboards light up
- What is the Statue of Liberty wearing
- What if I reply to a vacuum cleaner
- Is China the new face of imperialism
- What is OpenCV used for?
- How does the corrupt money spin
- Is 5 liters of oxygen a lot
- Are there liberals in China
- When will Sony make another handheld console?
- Which websites bring you huge revenue
- How is dung paint made
- All alcoholics need a detox
- What makes your world round
- Why should students read
- What does 20 mean for admission to college
- How do plants produce sugar
- There is an automatic flight control for helicopters
- Is mass suicide good in uncertain times
- How would other people characterize your strength
- How do toads eat worms
- How do clouds disappear?
- Why shouldn't people just own one crypto
- How are education and socialization related?
- A UI developer gets paid well
- Which editor uses HTML prettifier
- How do I calculate the density level
- How does a credit card work 4
- Why is the space treaty expiring?
- What makes a bad customer